Thursday, June 14, 2007

...Much Ado about Much Ado...


Well we've finished another week of rehearsals for Much Ado About Nothing with the CCPT group. I have to say I'm VERY impressed with the actors and the director Ken MacFarlane! Everyone is doing so GREAT! Many of them have already gotten 'off book' (actor speak for "they know their lines") and that's no small feat considering this is Shakespeare, and the lines are, complicated, often long monologues, of Elizabethan English, of which the meaning in modern English is often not clear to the actors. My hat (or feathered cap) goes off to the many talented and dedicated actors involved. You guys rock!

Also, there is a big dance sequence which we're all learning and everyone is doing really well with that too. It's really fun for me to see this coming together so quickly. It's really interesting also for me to work with Ken MacFarlane, the director. His style is very different from Derek Taylor Kent, who wrote and directed King Kalimari, the Musical. It's really interesting to see how different people approach the art of Stage Directing. I say Art, because I feel that's what it is. You are creating a world, a mood, an environment, where the actors can bring their characters to life. It's really fascinating, and QUITE challenging. I'm learning a LOT about acting through this process. I look forward to next week and each week of rehearsals.

It's only one month until opening! Rehearsing for this play seems much more fast-paced than KK, we had a much longer rehearsal time for it, but judging by the level of talent of the actors, I know it's going to be great by opening day!!!

My friend and fellow actor Leon Cohen (Dogeberry in Much Ado) has been posting some photos of the rehearsals - check them out on his blog. I hope to start taking some myself and posting them as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment