Monday, July 16, 2007

Books I'm Reading




Well, I finished book 9 "Winter's Heart" of the Robert Jordan Magnum Opus "The Wheel of Time" series. I'm on to book 10 called Crossroads of Twilight. Book 9 was mostly about the main characters on-going character development and Rand's desire to clean the taint from the male side of the One Power known in the books as Saidin. The taint is a foulness which pollutes the power and can eventually make the male using the power go mad and eventually kill him. So obviously, Rand has an interest in cleansing the taint from the One Power.

On a personal note, while the series of books is overall very good, I feel the author is long-winded in his story telling. I find myself wanting to get to the good stuff and he seems to get bogged down in telling minutia of details. While details do make the overall experience of the story more rich and full, as a reader, I find myself a little disinterested in knowing every little detail about each character's dress choice on a given day, exactly what they ate, and how they liked it and so forth.

Again, if you choose to read this series, start at the beginning, there's just too much back story in each book, and it's definitely written as a series, without any really satisfying conclusion to each book.

So now it's on to Book 10 Crossroads of Twilight. We'll see where this book takes the story!

No comments:

Post a Comment