Monday, October 1, 2007

Gettin' Down with the Mac Daddy

 
Over the weekend I had the distinct pleasure of attending the Wavefest put on by 94.7 The Wave radio station. Actually it was both Friday and Saturday nights at the Hollywood Bowl. I attended Friday night as the guest of some good friends. The evening started off with Poncho Sanchez and his band. It was very entertaining. I'm not much of a Poncho Sanchez fan, but I must admit he did entertain. Next up was Marc Antoine, who, not being a regular Wave listener, I'm not familiar with. He plays acoustic guitar, and very well. His music was alive and very moving. I may have to be forced to become a fan. Next up was the incomparable Patti Austin. Ms. Austin was really kickin' it! While I am familiar with some of her older music, I was hugely impressed by her vocal ability, song selection and a much admired ability to relate to the audience and involve us in the show - thus making the live experience more intense and wonderful. The Evening ended with the Mac Daddy, Michael McDonald! He was amazing too. His collection of great music was amply represented playing hits from his Doobie Brothers days on up to more recent songs. A special guest of his was Paul Riser, yes, the actor. Paul can lay some pretty amazing piano chops on you and he demonstrated it that night. I was impressed.

All in all, a very entertaining evening! A thank you and shout out to my friends for inviting me (you know who you are), and I have to throw my two cents worth in and say that of all the artists, I enjoyed Patti Austin the most!!! She was simply amazing and entertaining, and a friggin' good whistler too. She performed a song she wrote in which she had a vocal jazz solo which she intertwined with a whistling solo - Jazz whistling! Who'd have thought! Awesome! Kudos to you Ms. Austin!

If you get a chance to attend next year's Wavefest, do! The artists are always great!

--By Rex Hoss
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment