Wednesday, September 26, 2007

How to lighten your life...

 
...or, at least get better lighting in a portrait! As many of you know, I'm a self-proclaimed photographer and I've lately been honing my skills at taking the elusive portrait shot. I've been studying lighting on a variety of blogs and websites, notably Strobist, but there are many good sites. I have a Nikon D80 and SB-800 speed light. As mentioned in my last post on lighting, I decided to treat myself and get an umbrella for my strobe. It looks very similar to an umbrella you'd used to protect against the rain, but the material is white and made for reflecting light. So last night I set up my gear and started shooting. I had many questionable shots, but eventually got some that I like. It's always a challenge to do self-portraits, because it's a case of, set the camera controls to something you think will work, set up the light(s), walk in front of the camera, pose, take picture(s), go back to the camera to check things out, make any adjustments to camera controls, i.e., ISO, Aperture, Speed, etc., check if I was standing/sitting so that the camera caught me in the right position, check my facial expressions, adjust lights (intensity, position) go back to the front of the camera, pose, repeat, etc. It's VERY time consuming, but it is also fun.

I think I like taking pictures of other people more than myself - it's easier to make camera adjustments and things without worrying about getting in frame and posing, but there is something really rewarding about taking a self portrait which 'puts me in my best light' (sic) and makes me look good (sometimes better than real life).

Anyway, thanks for reading, I'll post more pictures as appropriate, and keep you informed of my new techniques and successes. I'm also looking for models to photograph (actors head shots anyone???) for a very reasonable fee, so don't hesitate to put the word out!

Photo notes: The above shot was done with one strobe, and a bounce card to fill in shadows on the darker side. If you're following my work, notice the difference in the shadows - they're still there, but they are more diffuse - soft and not a hard, sharp shadow! Viola!, that's the magic of the light umbrella! So, go ahead, lighten up your life! If you have a camera, don't be afraid to take it off of "auto" mode and experiment with the Aperture, shutter speed and any other settings you have - you might be amazed at the amazing shots you get. Anyone can point and shoot - the art in photography comes in experimenting - something I'm all about.

P.S. - If I keep this up, I'm going to have photographs of me in every shirt I own! (Now if I could just remember to apply some makeup and/or shave, I might have a really GREAT photograph.) :-)

-- Photo and Story by Rex Hoss
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment