Wednesday, September 19, 2007

How to Dirty Dance

 
I've discovered a new dance partner! The iRobot, Roomba! Last week I was on a literal spend-a-thon and was buying several things to spruce up my living space. I previously mentioned my search for Celebrity Towels. Well, I was at a local Big Lots! store (a local discount/close-out store) and saw several Roombas on display. Now, you must understand if you don't already, that I'm a bit of a tech geek and I've seen these little guys advertised for years (haven't we all!). Well, since the price has usually been prohibitive, I've shied away from getting one. Well, wonder of wonders, they were selling 'refurbished' models for half (1/2) the regular price so I splurged and decided to get one and try it out.

Being somewhat skeptical even for a techie like me, I wasn't sure if the darn thing was going to work or be very effective vacuuming the floors. So, I brought it home, quickly unpacked it and set it up for the requisite initial charge of the battery. Once it was charged and ready to go, I fired it up! WOW!!!

The little guy can move! It scooted here, it darted there, it bumped (lightly) into furniture, walls, lamps, stray tennis shoes, anything and everything on the floor it darted around, all the while lights flashing and making whirring sounds. It's actually fairly quiet, especially on carpet. It can go from carpet, to wood or tile floors, to rungs without much of a problem at all. In fact the only problems it encountered were a couple of 'shaggy' rugs I have. It didn't like things which were too shaggy and/or had an edge it could suck onto and get caught in.

To be fair, it actually has some pretty astonishing dance moves!!! When it encounters a rug that give it problems, it actually backs up, twists around raises its wheel-base and a number of other moves in order to free itself, which it does with astonishing results. For the most part, it actually does free itself from unwieldy rugs (and the occasional speaker wire) 98% of the time!

Since mine is a refurb model, and apparently an older model (I checked their website and of course they have several new fabulous models which do even more), mine comes with 'virtual walls' which you can use to restrain the Roomba to one room or area and keep it away from other areas. There is of course an add-on scheduler which can be used to program the little guy to vacuum anywhere from 1 to 7 times a week. I think I'll be saving my pennys for that, since I'm now in love with this device and am really enjoying clean floors! Speaking of clean floors, it actually, really does work - and quite well! I was surprised and aghast at how much dust, fibers, HAIR and stray crumbs and things the Roomba picked up! I'm now relieved and delighted to know I have MUCH cleaner floors, and I confess, it's almost addicting watching the Roomba scoot around the house cleaning as it goes. The second most astonishing thing about it (first is how well it works) is that it doesn't fall off stairs or other ledges! I have an overhang where my second story floor hangs over the stairs! The Roomba goes right up to the edge detects the drop off and stops and revises its path. It didn't fall off this ledge or the stairs! WOW, someone had their thinking cap on when they designed this!

The only other thing I want now is more of them! Since I live in a two story apartment, I want one for both up and downstairs (so I don't have to worry about carrying it between floors! Heck, I'm even considering the Scooba (for washing my tile floors in the kitchen, hall and bathrooms! Yes, I'm addicted, but they work!

--By Rex Hoss
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment