Saturday, September 22, 2007

How to shoot yourself in the Head

 
 
I was experimenting with my new lens Nikon 85mm f1.8 last night. I've been trying to develop better technique when shooting myself in the head, er, I mean taking portraits of myself. My Nikon D80 takes some amazing shots, and the new lens is amazing for portraits, but the story doesn't end there. Technique is HUGELY important! Ansel Adams, could have gotten amazing shots with the simplest of cameras (point and shoot anyone?), but it's his eye for detail and knowledge of using and captureing light which make his work amazing. So, even though I have some nice gear, it's the technique which needs the work! I have some friends who take amzaing pictures and have much different, and less expensive cameras than I do, but their eye for detail is stunning!

That being said, these pictures were taken with a single small strob light (Nikon SB800). I was playing around with using some white foam boards as reflectors to help difuse the light and make the lighting a little "softer" (less harsh directs shadows). I think my next purchases will be a light umbrella, which is used to help soften lighting even more. Smooth and creamy light is what I'm going for.

So, not to sound like too much of a photography enthusiast - go out and take some pictures!!! There are interesting things everywhere, if you look! And sometimes the fun is in capturing something 'ordinary' and finding the unordinary in it. Light and reflections can work wonders!

--By Rex Hoss
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment