Friday, April 6, 2007

Good Friday

Well, it's that time of year when people start thinking (again) about God, spirituality and the like. Since I have many friends of different faiths I started to think about what Good Friday and Easter mean to various groups. Living in California in a big city it seems that Good Friday in particular has lost (much of) it's meaning. By that I mean, for a religious holiday, it is celebrated very randomly (almost as bad as M.L.K. Day!) It seems some groups are heavily into it, while some barely notice (observe) it. I've also noticed that in 'corporate America' there is a huge amount of random (observance) tolerance for Good Friday. In my company alone, some locations are closed, some are closed half day and some not closed at all. It seems they allow a certain number of 'floating holidays' and if you (or your employer) decide Good Friday is a good enough reason for a holiday, then you can observe it. Frankly, I find the whole thing odd. Seems to me, that in a world which supposedly is tolerant of various religious and cultural beliefs, we (the world - or at least America) would be more willing to observe as many holidays, and days of celebration as we could get - SUCH IS NOT THE CASE! I guess, a capitalist society places the making of a dollar above anything else and after all, business must go on! We couldn't possibly take a day off to celebrate, reflect or even rest! And here I'd been told we were working as a society towards a life with less work hours and more free time. NOT!

Anyway, I'm done with my rant. I just had a few thoughts about the inconsistency of holidays in this country. Thanks for reading.

P.S. I just personally feel that ALL Friday's are GOOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment