Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Now Reading

Well I finished book 10 Crossroads of Twilight, of Robert Jordan's gargantuan series "The Wheel of Time". There are, so far, 11 books in the series. Book 10 seemed a little slow without much plot development. As a whole the series is somewhat long-winded. The author goes into great detail describing what seem to be superfluous and unnecessary details to give 'depth' to the story. It ends up being a long read of too many books to tell what could be done in a much more compact form. At this point I'm only reading book 11 Knife of Dreams because I want to finish the story. It's a little crazy since Robert Jordan has in fact not finished the story! There are apparently going to be 12 books and he's working on that last one - due out sometime next year (in theory).

At least the 10th book ended with a 'cliff-hanger' but otherwise as a long and somewhat tedious read. There are in my opinion too many characters, too many lengthy descriptions of things that ultimately don't move the story along. Note to R.J.: Speed it up, loose the tedious descriptions, and for crissake, stop introducing endless new characters! I can't keep track of all of their names and story lines-I don't know how anyone could!

OK, I'm done with my rant! It's on to the reading. Actually, I listen to the stories on audio book format! My new means of entertainment.

--Rex Hoss

No comments:

Post a Comment